Sustainable Development Goals
In 2020, AET’s Sustainability Team began the process of aligning our company with the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We created a framework based on our 5 core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect, Sustainable, and Solutions to determine which of the SDG’s aligned with our company goals to reduce our ecological footprint and improve the wellbeing of the people working in our company and the broader communities in which we work.
Our commitment has been divided into three categories:
AET is committed to conducting our business with honesty and integrity.
AET is committed to fostering an inclusive culture and positive work environment.
AET is committed to improving the social, economic, and environmental value for all generations.
Through this framework, AET has committed to working towards 11 Sustainable Development Goals and has implemented the following internal targets:
- Ensure 50% of our vendors and suppliers meet our CSR standards by 2025.
- Reduce single use plastics in our operations by 100% by 2030.
- Ensure 100% of employees are paid a living wage by 2022 (goal reached in 2021)
- Ensure 90% of goods are purchased locally within a 50KM radius by 2025.
- Ensure a 100% capture rate of divertible materials.
- Ensure at least 90% of employees are satisfied with their job by 2025.
- Ensure 50% of positions with decision making responsibility are filled by women by 2025.
- Ensure 100% of all permanent part-time and full-time employees have access to benefits by 2022.
- Ensure Net Zero carbon emissions across all operations by 2030.
- Plant 30,000 trees across Canada by 2030 as part of AET’s 1% for the Trees initiative focusing on areas that have been affected by deforestation.
- Support or participate in a minimum of 5 litter clean up events or initiatives per year.
- Transition off natural gas by 2025.
- Transition to a 100% electric fleet by 2030.
- Reduce water usage by 30% by 2025.
- Ensure 100% of electricity needs are generated by renewable energy.
- Reduce employee commuting emissions by 50% by 2030.
- Establish an Employee Home Energy Subsidy program by 2022.
- Create opportunities to ensure employees volunteer a minimum of 16 hours each year.