AET Group is currently seeking candidates to join our team in the role of Waste Technician. This is a full-time, permanent role.
AET Group is a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting, auditing and scientific services company providing professional services to the built and natural environments in the following core service areas: air, compliance, building sciences, mitigation, GHG, waste, sustainability, audits, water, management systems, home flood protection and energy. Headquartered in Kitchener Ontario, AET provides services across Canada and the United States. AET is looking for dedicated, skilled, and knowledgeable people to complement our current team.
This position reports directly to the Manager of Waste Operations and works closely with the Waste Team Lead, Project Lead, and Waste Team, to ensure safe and efficient waste studies. The successful candidate won’t shy away from hard work and is excited for the opportunity to travel, both within the province, and across Canada. The successful candidate must be available to travel regularly for conducting audits. The travel will require overnight stays for 1–3-week periods.
You will have the opportunity to contribute to our growth, working on diverse waste projects across Canada, including municipal and ICI waste studies and reduction strategies, material recovery facility commissioning, optimization and quality studies, litter studies, food waste studies, EPR and Circular Economy, and waste reduction planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct waste studies (~90% of time) including:
- Participate in waste sample collection (e.g., curbside residential waste collection, landfill waste collection, recycling collection, etc.).
- Participate in sample sorting to characterize and determine garbage, recycling, and organic composition by material type.
- Responsible for carrying out work with accordance to project specifications and prescribed methodologies.
- Work safely by following all health & safety protocols, including proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Data entry, analysis & report writing of the information collected during an audit (~5% of time).
- Administrative & Communication (~5% of time).
- Support other environmental projects and complete other duties from time to time.
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Studies or related field with an interest in waste management is preferred.
- Driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract, access to a vehicle; comfortable driving pickup truck and pulling a cargo trailer is preferred.
- Must possess excellent oral, written, organizational and multitasking skills.
- Ability to work well in a team setting.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be punctual and dependable with a professional demeanor.
- Possess initiative, adaptability, flexibility, and a willingness to learn.
- MS Excel and MS Word knowledge and use is preferred.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk.
- Able to lift 20 kg.
- Regularly required to work outside in varying weather conditions.
- PPE requirements: half-mask respirator/mask, safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, safety footwear, coveralls, reflective vest – all provided by AET.
AET Group is an environmental consultancy firm committed to our ecological, financial, and social responsibilities, working together collaboratively to find innovative solutions that work and remembering that underneath it all, we’re human beings working with other human beings to make a difference both locally and globally.
Founded in 1998 with a focus on waste services, we have diversified over the past 25 years to provide environmental consulting, auditing, and scientific services to the built and natural environments in 12 core practice areas: air, compliance, building sciences, mitigation, GHG, waste, sustainability, audits, water, management systems, home flood protection and energy. Our emphasis at AET has been sustainable solutions – as a service to clients, throughout our own operations and day-to-day practices.
It is the AET team and company culture that sets us apart from other companies. AET strives to foster a culture of collaboration and respect, while providing a safe working environment and providing superior service. Employees at AET are highly motivated and value honesty, openness, and integrity, while displaying a strong commitment to the environment.
- Sustainability culture throughout company.
- Competitive comprehensive remuneration.
- Paid training and career development opportunities.
- Professional membership reimbursement.
- Savings and retirement plan; eligibility to participate in deferred profit-sharing plan.
- Health benefits plan, including health spending account, wellness program, and employee assistance program.
- Education Scholarship Program.
- Sustainable Transportation Program.
- Staff Relocation Assistance Program.
- Volunteering Program.
AET Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation.