Lead Waste Technician
AET Group is currently seeking experienced Waste Technicians to join our team and quickly step into a leadership position. This is a full-time, permanent role.
Do you have a passion for sustainability? Waste management? Are you looking to grow your career in the environmental field? This opportunity is for you!
This position reports directly to the Manager of Waste Operations and works closely with the Project Manager and Waste Team, to ensure safe and efficient waste audits. The successful candidate won’t shy away from hard work and is excited for the opportunity to travel, both within the province, and across Canada. You will have the opportunity to contribute to our growth, working on diverse waste projects across Canada, including municipal waste studies, ICI waste audits and reduction strategies, material recovery facility optimization & quality studies, litter studies, inbound landfill studies, and food waste studies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and conduct waste audits (~85% of time) including:
- Preparing for upcoming assignments (e.g. assembling field log sheets, equipment, supplies, communicating with the project manager & audit team)
- Participate in and lead waste sample collection (e.g. curbside residential waste collection, landfill waste collection, recycling collection), and sample sorting to characterize and determine garbage and recycling composition by material type
- Responsible for carrying out work accordance to project specifications and prescribed methodology
- Work safely by following all health & safety protocols, including proper use of personal protective equipment
- Data entry, analysis & report writing (~10% of time)
- Administrative & Communication, and other duties from time to time (~5% of time)
- Previous experience conducting waste audits is an asset (1-2 years)
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Studies or related field with an interest in waste management is preferred
- Driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract, access to a vehicle; comfortable driving pickup truck and pulling a cargo trailer is preferred
- Must possess excellent oral, written, organizational and multitasking skills
- Ability to work well in a team setting; experience leading a team is an asset
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Must be punctual and dependable with a professional demeanor
- Possess initiative, adaptability, flexibility, and a willingness to learn
- MS Excel and MS Word knowledge and use is preferred
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk
- Able to lift 20 kg
- Regularly required to work outside in varying weather conditions
- PPE requirements: half-mask respirator/mask, safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, safety footwear, coveralls, reflective vest – all provided by AET
AET Group is an environmental consultancy firm committed to our ecological, financial, and social responsibilities, working together collaboratively to find innovative solutions that work and remembering that underneath it all, we’re human beings working with other human beings to make a difference both locally and globally.
Founded in 1998 with a focus on waste services, we have diversified over the past 20 years to provide environmental consulting, auditing, and scientific services to the built and natural environments in 12 core practice areas: air, compliance, building sciences, mitigation, GHG, waste, sustainability, audits, water, management systems, home flood protection and energy. Our emphasis at AET has been sustainable solutions – as a service to clients, throughout our own operations and day-to-day practices.
It is the AET team and company culture that sets us apart from other companies. AET strives to foster a culture of collaboration and respect, while providing a safe working environment and providing superior service. Employees at AET are highly motivated and value honesty, openness, and integrity, while displaying a strong commitment to the environment. As a Certified B Corporation®, we use business for good to create a positive impact on the environment and society in which we operate. Our internal Sustainability Committee leads initiatives in the workplace to reduce our environmental footprint and impacts.
In addition to our health/dental/vision benefits, health spending account, employee assistance program, wellness program, and RRSP matching policy, AET also offers the following incentives to staff: Telecommuting, Staff Relocation Assistance, Sustainable Transportation Rebate, Give-a-Day Take-a-Day Volunteering Program, Education Scholarship Awards, Professional Development Reimbursements, & much, much more!
Let us know why you would be a perfect fit for our team by forwarding your resume and a position-tailored cover letter. We thank you for your interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AET Inc. is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require accommodation.